Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Lone Rider

American roads, here I come...
Went to the Driving Facility today @ 6 in the morning...(to be the first in line ... literally). Stood there for 2 hours in the freezing cold to the point that lost sense of my toes by the end of the 2 hours... Wasn't wearing any head cover too, so froze up my ears too ;)
Yea things were pretty bad... but the end was worth the hardship... Got my learner's licence or driver's permit today... Now I can officially drive on the US roads and rent any damn automobile I want... or maybe even buy one for myself soon...
The process itself is pretty organized and it took just 20 minutes for me to get my permit. The office opened at 8 sharp. My documents were scrutinized beforehand... On entering, I got a ticket number which was called by one of the counter-personnel within 2 minutes. Gave my vision test there and document re-verification was done... Next step is to deposit the fee at the cashier's desk.
Once that is done, you need to take the question paper, sit on one of the designated desks and answer 35 objective type questions (20 situational + 15 sign-based). You are allowed a minimum score of 28 to clear the test. I scored a 100%.
The last step is for them to print your permit and you'r out...
A car gives you a lot of independence to survive, sustain, enjoy and commute at your own whim and fancy... Hope to now get the licence within a fortnight as an xmas or new year gift to myself...
And life goes on...

No comments: